I do dozens of lunch and dinner events, and I hear a lot of Graces said before meals. On the whole I prefer the serious and reverent Graces to the jokesy ones. But on Monday Feb 23rd at a dinner of the Woodhall Spa Rotary Club, I heard a Grace that I have to share with you (and I apologise in advance to any reader who finds it a touch irreverent).
“We thank thee, Dear Lord, for the European Union. We thank Thee for the butter mountains we can slide down, and for the wine lakes we can swim in. Most of all, we thank Thee for the Italian accounting practices that make it all possible. Amen”.
(Actually this is a little unfair on the Italians, who discovered double-entry book-keeping around 600 years before the European Commission caught up with the idea).
Search the blog
Calendar of posts
- My final speech in Strasbourg – Two-seat parliament a perfect metaphor for the hubris and futility of EU project
- The European parliament: an apology
- COP21 climate agreement: An eye-watering amount of money for virtually no return
- £100,000 mis-spent?
- EU energy labelling: confusing consumers and creating problems for industry
EdwardM on My final speech in Strasbourg… geoffmprice on “Climate deniers are… John Burnett on “Climate deniers are… KennieD on My final speech in Strasbourg… Ex-expat Colin on My final speech in Strasbourg…
- Beware of “Smart Meters”
- My final speech in Strasbourg - Two-seat parliament a perfect metaphor for the hubris and futility of EU project
- Not so, Barroso!
- Gasland is just plain wrong. And hugely damaging.
- Ken on rape: badly phrased, but basically right
- Motherhood and Apple Pie
- The EU Olive Oil ban: Time for open defiance
- Climate Hustle comes to Brussels
- The UK: the EU's largest export market
- Spring Conference in Torquay
- 908,881 hits
- Add new tag Air fares Alan Johnson Al Gore Animal Welfare banking BBC betrayal Broughton Astley Brussels C02 Cameron campaign CAP capitalism Carbon Climate Change CO2 Constitution Copenhagan Credit Crunch Croatia David Cameron David Davis Education Elections emissions trading Energy Energy Security Environment EPP EU EU Presidency Europe Freedom Zone Free Speech Galileo Georgia Global Warming GM Food gordon brown Greenpeace Gurkhas Lib Dems Liberal Democrats Lisbon McCain Monetary Union No Campaign Obama OfCom Oil Peer reviewed papers pesticides Philip Lardner Politics Show Refereendum Referendum Renewables resignation roger helmer Russia Sarah Palin Sarkozy smoking Stem Cell Research St George's Day Tax The Freedom Zone Tobacco UKIP USA Vice President windfall tax