· We’re told we have to support a good trading partner. That’s like a business making a loan to an old customer who’s gone bust, so that the customer can keep on buying. Not a good way to run a business. Or it’s like trying to pull yourself up by your own boot-laces.
· You don’t help an over-indebted country by forcing more debt on it. That’s like forcing cocaine onto an addict.
· The £7 billion we propose to lend to Dublin is equivalent to all the cuts we’re making in welfare.
· We don’t have £7 billion. We’re going to have to borrow it, adding to our own debt, to re-lend it to Dublin below market rates
· We may never see it back.
·It’s around £300 for every household in Britain.
·This is not really about bailing out Ireland. It’s about bailing out the euro. And the whole reason why we didn’t want to join the euro in the first place was to avoid exactly this problem.
·We don’t want to be part of a European debt union.
The only real solution for Ireland (and Greece) is to leave the euro. Now if Ireland were asking for help with a transition to a real, long-term solution, perhaps we should extend a helping hand.
Search the blog
Calendar of posts
- My final speech in Strasbourg – Two-seat parliament a perfect metaphor for the hubris and futility of EU project
- The European parliament: an apology
- COP21 climate agreement: An eye-watering amount of money for virtually no return
- £100,000 mis-spent?
- EU energy labelling: confusing consumers and creating problems for industry
Jane Davies on The European parliament: an… catweazle666 on The European parliament: an… Sheila White on The European parliament: an… charles wardrop on The European parliament: an… Mike Maunder on The European parliament: an…
- An Open Letter to Professor Michael Merrifield of Nottingham University
- Sorry, Tony Blair. But you’re wrong. Again.
- Little Englander, little European?
- Is David Cameron making a fool of himself?
- Speaking at the Employment Committee - 26 January 2012
- Why is Nissan so pro-EU?
- The 12th International Conference on Climate Change
- The predictive power of a 1934 cartoon!
- The physics of a boiling kettle - my question to the commission!
- The thoughts of George Osborne
- 943,593 hits
- Add new tag
- Air fares
- Alan Johnson
- Al Gore
- Animal Welfare
- Broughton Astley
- Climate Change
- Credit Crunch
- David Cameron
- David Davis
- emissions trading
- Energy Security
- EU Presidency
- Freedom Zone
- Free Speech
- Global Warming
- GM Food
- gordon brown
- Lib Dems
- Liberal Democrats
- Monetary Union
- No Campaign
- Peer reviewed papers
- Philip Lardner
- Politics Show
- roger helmer
- Sarah Palin
- Stem Cell Research
- St George's Day
- The Freedom Zone
- Vice President
- windfall tax